My First Year in Pictures.

Posted on

After a week of hiatus, I am back! I know that many of our lovely undergraduates will have received or will be receiving their exam results soon. I hope that everything has gone well and that you are all now excitedly preparing to join us.

This week I wanted to give you all a taste of what my 1st year was like when I started Edinburgh University 2 years ago. I absolutely loved my first year here and quickly found that the nerves of Freshers Week went away when I immersed myself in the huge range of activities, societies, sports clubs and opportunities Edinburgh has to offer. I thought the best way to show you how wonderful it is to be a student here was through the pictures I took during my first two semesters studying International Relations.

In Freshers Week Edinburgh had it's welcome home parade for our Olympic athletes and I got to shake Chris Hoy's hand! I bought my Edinburgh academic diary with my best friend from high school which was a lifelong dream achieved. I also spent many a sunny autumn afternoon in George Square between my Introduction to Politics and International Relations and International Law courses.

During Freshers Week Edinburgh had it’s welcome home parade for our London 2012 medallists. I got to shake Chris Hoy’s hand and spent the day bonding with my new flatmates. I bought my Edinburgh academic diary with my best friend from high school, it was really wonderful to have someone familiar in halls. I also spent many a sunny autumn afternoon in George Square between my Introduction to Politics and International Relations and International Law courses. I really adore George Square – especially the gardens. I think they are notoriously underused by students but I’m sure some people would protest that statement.

Snowy & Stormy Edinburgh

Believe it or not, these are all photos taken after I had been in tutorials, lectures or through the lovely open windows in the library while I was studying. Edinburgh University allows students some rare vantage points of the city with the view from David Hume Tower being especially beautiful. The first semester of my 1st year I was lucky (or unlucky, depending on who you are) to get lots of snow. Edinburgh looks particularly brilliant in the snow and made a great backdrop to my library study sessions. By this time, I had made some wonderful friends in my lectures and had started attending the Baking Society’s weekly meetings, where I found some lovely, like-minded people, too.

Spring & Summer

Spring rolled around during my second semester and brought with it some absolutely gorgeous weather and the opportunity to sightsee many an Edinburgh attraction. If you ever want a quick-fire way of seeing the city, go on one of the bus tours! I’ve lived near Edinburgh for most of my life and even I learnt a lot. By now I had survived my first set of university exams and felt much more like Edinburgh was my new home. I’d found a wonderful group of people in my halls of residence with seven of them becoming the people I know call my best friends. I was more confident in tutorials, had a good grasp of how I liked to take notes in lectures and was really glad that I had chosen to come to the University of Edinburgh.

Back to top

© School of Social and Political Science 2014

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336.