- Regent at Aberdeen, 1721-1727
- Tutor to Andrew Wauchope of Niddry and Thomas Watson
- ‘In his elaborate manual for the education of the virtuous republican citizen and dutiful office-holder in the divine corporation [Observations upon Liberal Education (London, 1742)], Turnbull includes the study of Roman law, followed by natural law, as essential. More particularly, he recommends Grotius, Pufendorf, and his own Heineccius….’ (Haakonssen, Natural law 98*)
Publications, Manuscripts, and other Resources
- Johann Gottlieb Heineccius, A Methodical System of Universal Law: Or, the Laws of Nature and Nations, with Supplements and a Discourse by George Turnbull. Translated from the Latin by George Turnbull, edited with an Introduction by Thomas Ahnert and Peter Schröder (London 1741; repr Indianapolis: Liberty Fund 2008). Available from Online Library of Liberty.
- G Turnbull, The Principles of Moral Philosophy (London, 1740) Available from Google Books and the Internet Archive
*For references, see the Site Bibliography.