- Filled in as Chair of Moral Philosophy at Edinburgh to cover for Adam Ferguson in 1774 (ODNB*)
- Professor of Logic from 1778 at Edinburgh
- Tutor to Robert Dundas on his Grand Tour (ODNB*)
- Founding member of the Speculative Society (ODNB*)
Publications, Manuscripts, and other Resources
- Elements of the science of ethics, on the principles of natural philosophy. By John Bruce, A. M. Professor of Philosophy in the University, and Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (London: printed for A. Strahan; and T. Cadell, in the Strand; and W. Creech, at Edinburgh, ) ESTC T089429
- Papers of Professor John Bruce [volumes of lectures on moral philosophy (1770) and a copy of First principles of philosophy, for the use of students (1781) [University of Edinburgh, Centre for Research Collections MSS MS Dc.3.44; Dc.10.3-5]
*For references, see the Site Bibliography.