- Studied with David Fordyce
- First professor of moral philosophy and logic at Aberdeen, 1753-1760
- Professor of divinity at Marischal (1760-1771) then King’s College (from 1771), Aberdeen
- Sometime college librarian at Marischal, c. 1768
- ‘Under the heading of speculative jurisprudence, he focussed on the cluster of concepts connected with the notion of natural law, and claimed that most of these concepts were derived from the immediate perceptions of moral sense’. (Wood, Aberdeen Enlightenment 114*)
*For references, see the Site Bibliography.